"" Writer's Wanderings: Carding the Senior Citizen

Monday, May 05, 2008

Carding the Senior Citizen

We have a community billboard that proudly announces "May is Senior Citizens Month!" While I feel honored, it didn't thrill me nearly as much as going to the store the other day and being carded. Since I didn't frequent the places that normally carded kids when I was in my early twenties, I didn't have that experience very often. And really, back then you wanted to look older. What fools we were.

Now that I'm more "mature," it was a thrill when the clerk at the store wouldn't give me the senior discount until I showed her proof of age. I proudly pulled out my new drivers license--the one that didn't make me look ten years older like the last picture. She "hmmmed" and then looked at the date, did a little math (in her head!) and rang up my discount.
Yea! Sometimes getting older pays off.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...