"" Writer's Wanderings: Weeding the Garden

Monday, July 14, 2008

Weeding the Garden


When we built this house and landscaped a little over 6 years ago, I was gung-ho to have lots of flower beds to plant beautiful flowers and flowering bushes. Yes, the saying, "be careful what you wish for," applies here.

I spent the day outside pulling weeds from all those lovely flower beds. No matter how much the flowers grow and how many I plant, the weeds still find room to fit in. Worse even is the fact that the weeds are at times like a chameleon. They seem to take on the color and shape of whatever they grow beside. If you don't look carefully, you miss the weed while it's small and then before you know it, it's grown to enormous proportions and is even harder to pull out.

I don't think it's any accident that God/Jesus used gardens so often in the stories of the Bible. When you use the analogy of weeds and sin, you can understand how the little sins of our lives can take hold and grow out of proportion if we don't take care to garden our lives and pull out the weeds.

Well, maybe there was a reason God allowed me all these flower beds. It gives me lots of time to think, to pray, to examine, while I garden my yard and my life.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...