"" Writer's Wanderings: Books for the Road -- The Noticer by Andy Andrews

Friday, August 21, 2009

Books for the Road -- The Noticer by Andy Andrews



"I'm a noticer," he said. "It is my gift. While others may be able to sing well or run fast. I notice things that other people overlook. . . I notice things about situations and people that produce perspective. That's what most folks lack--perspective. . ."

These words are spoken early in the story of Jones, just Jones not Mister Jones, as the narrator, Andy, begins to unfold the tale of a rather unusual character who just suddenly shows up in his little town and begins to offer people perspective with a little advice to help them out of their troubles.

The Noticer, by Andy Andrews, is a mix of fiction, allegory, and inspiration. It's a captivating story but one that I found to be a strange mix. Andrews brings in references to other self-help and ispirational books--The Five Love Languages, a touch of The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People, and Don't Sweat the Small Stuff, although he says do sweat.

The Jones character reminded me of some of the characters conjured up by Stephen King and Ted Dekker although Jones is symbolically good not evil. His mysterious appearing and disappearing add fantasy to the story.

As I read on, I kept wondering if I was to get the message that I should be a noticer of others or should examine my perspective on certain areas of my life. Either way you look at it, The Noticer is an interesting read--a new perspective, you might say, on delivering an inspirational message.

To find out more about The Noticer and get an excerpt go to the Thomas Nelson product page.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...