"" Writer's Wanderings: Books for the Road -- The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

Thursday, October 22, 2009

Books for the Road -- The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

Have you ever belonged to a book discussion group? I attend one whenever I can at our local library. This book, The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, is on the list to read this year but I couldn't wait until the appointed month. I was too intrigued.

Anyone can imagine what a literary society might be but add the potato peel pie and well, doesn't that get your feline curiosity up? It did to the protagonist in the book as well, Juliet Ashton, who is a writer looking for a good book to write. One of the members of the society contacts her and there begins a correspondence which leads to a retelling of the German occupation of Guernsey during World War II.

The novel, written by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows, is told through the letters, telegrams, and a few diary notes. I thought at first I would be put off by that but these clever writers drew me in and developed their characters and story line expertly.

History, human drama, and of course a little romance are all mixed together for a story "pie" that will satisfy every bit as much as one made of potato peels--maybe even more so. If I could have gotten all my history lessons in such a delightful way as this, I would not have hated those classes so much.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...