"" Writer's Wanderings: The Winter Zoo

Thursday, January 12, 2012

The Winter Zoo


If you follow my blog, you know that the zoo is one of my favorite places to visit rather it is in Cleveland or on the other side of the world. I have my favorites but my love of the zoo started in the Cleveland Metroparks Zoo when I was three. It was my mother's favorite place to take me for the day and the trip was always exciting including the bus ride from our home to the corner where we would walk down to the zoo. There was always the added treat of a Royal Castle Hamburger.

Yesterday we took another grandchild to the zoo. It was a warm winter day--in the 40s--and the sun was shining for the morning at least. You have to look a little harder to find the animals in the winter time. Those that can't take the cold are in shelters but often the shelters allow you to get closer to them than when they are outside.

The Clemet Zoo is spread out. It's an old zoo and includes an upper level and lower level that is often a challenge to walk but there is always a tram and in the winter, it is a bus. This year it was a new minibus that was easy to board and comfortable with a driver who obviously was enjoying his job.

We stopped in to see the elephants who were inside for the early morning, then on to see the koalas and roos, and finished the main zoo with the primate building. Over in our Rainforest, we stopped for lunch and were amazed at the variety of foods at somewhat reasonable prices.

Once inside the area where the birds are we found that less traffic meant the birds were happy to come out and meet us. I was amazed at how close they got to us. A little too close at one point when one colorful bird about a third the size of our 2 1/2 year old granddaughter startled her and sent her running to Grandpa in tears.

We had a great time and I got to learn a little more about my new camera. But more on that tomorrow. . .

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...