"" Writer's Wanderings: Flashback Friday - The Cleveland Zoo

Friday, July 17, 2015

Flashback Friday - The Cleveland Zoo

If you have followed my blog for any length of time you know I love the zoo. While we've been to some really nice zoos--San Diego, Columbus, Sydney--I love our Cleveland Metroparks Zoo. Maybe it's because I've been going there since I was very young.

The picture here is of me with a mounted Cleveland policeman and I was told it was taken at the zoo. Why Mom didn't take more pictures of me with animals, I don't know. But I do remember our visits to the zoo. At that time it was called the Brookside Park zoo. We would ride a bus and get off and walk down the long hill to the zoo entrance.

I also remember stopping at a hamburger place that was near the bus stop. The picture in my head is this building that is now a Western Union, I think and I believe it was a Royal Castle that was quite popular until the new kid on the block, McDonald's moved into the area.

My memories of the Brookside Park Zoo turn into memories of the Cleveland Metroparks Zoo which took over in 1975. By then, I was bringing my children to the zoo. Lots of good times remembered with several other moms who would get together for a day at the zoo.

Now we have zoo memberships and often visit just to walk around and get some exercise on a nice day. There's always something interesting to watch and we visit our favorites, enjoy watching the new generations of zoo visitors
making memories, and seeing how the zoo is ever changing.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...