"" Writer's Wanderings: My Top Ten Favorite Places for the Nature Lover

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

My Top Ten Favorite Places for the Nature Lover



Everyone always asks what is my favorite place of all I've visited. That's an impossible question to answer. I like different places for different reasons. So with that in mind and while there are still lots of places left to visit in this world of all the places I've been these would be my favorites for the nature lover in  me.

New Zealand. Almost any place in New Zealand you go there are trails to explore and beautiful scenes to take in as well as lots of animals. One of the things I like best is that there are no snakes. So, as I walk the trails, I can hold my head up and not worry about anything slithering across the path. But for a great mix of things to explore, the Dunedin area is probably my favorite. Albatross, penguins, seals, and lots of sheep in the green fields that make NZ such a pastoral landscape.

The Great Barrier Reef, Australia. For easy access to the reef, stay in Cairns or on one of the outer islands in the area. A day's trip on one of the tour boats will get you out on the reef and most have snorkel gear, offer introductory scuba diving, glass bottom boats and even a "submarine" with viewing windows that give you eyeball to eyeball encounters with the marine life.

Norway's Fjords. We have been to the fjords of Norway several times and are always amazed at the beauty and awesomeness of the landscape. Cruising is the only way we've seen them but I wonder what it would be like to do a land tour and see them that way? Hey, Hon! Add that to the bucket list!

The Grand Canyon. I struggle with choosing this over Bryce or Zion but if you only get to see one canyon this would be the one to do. It's easy for anyone to navigate the upper level trails and if you want a real challenge, you can go down and cross the canyon floor. Early in the morning on the trails before they get too crowded from tour buses, you can enjoy the clean air, beauty of the landscape, animals who haven't scattered to their hideaways yet, and collect breathtaking pictures of more colors of earth and rock than you ever imagined. And don't forget the star-filled night skies. Amazing.

Antarctica. We braved the Drake Passage and were rewarded with a once-in-a-lifetime trip to Antarctica. Penguins, seals, and lots of icebergs as well as the whitest snow I have ever seen. It is beauty beyond words.

Galapagos Islands. You really have to love iguanas because you will see thousands of them here as well as seals (sometimes close up and personal), albatross, flamingos, turtles, tortoises, and all sorts of birds including the blue footed boobie.

Kruger National Park, South Africa. Our first safari will definitely not be our last. The country of South Africa is beautiful--landscape like nothing I've seen anywhere else. And getting close up to the big five out in the wild was, well, wild!

Australia's Outback. I've mentioned the marine life already but there's much more to see on land as well. We've taken a few tours into the outback and enjoyed seeing kangaroos in the wilds as well as koalas and even the kookaburra. There are snakes though so I don't do much hiking here. Yes, I have a thing about snakes.

Papua New Guinea. While I would not recommend travel there right now, it was the best place we have ever been diving. Wonderful green landscapes were viewed from the dive boat and we did venture in to see some hot springs on one trip but mostly we enjoyed the marine life, large and small, from the giant manta rays to the tiniest seahorse smaller than my little finger's fingernail.

My own backyard. Now obviously I don't do tours for people through my backyard but I want to point out to you that sometimes you really don't have to travel far to see the beauty of nature. While all of you may not have deer, coyotes (on occasion), gophers, chipmunks, even a red fox and quite a variety of birds, most of you do have at least a park or zoo nearby that offers an opportunity to walk or sit and enjoy some of the beautiful things God has created in nature.

Well, that's my top ten for now. I still have many miles to go. ..

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...